Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Internal Wholeness Part1: Romance

This series came out of a conversation I had recently.  I was at a park with some friends from church a few Sundays ago. There I had the opportunity to get to know one particular girl named Mimi.  When she found out that I had been married before, she begin asking me a whole lot of questions. I love that about her. She has a hunger about the things of God that excites me (little did I know that God was preparing her to be my soulmate...haha. Our story is pretty great, but that's for another time). I began sharing with her a bit of my story and the really hard lessons I've learned from my failed marriage and my brokenness. Then she stunned me with one question that my mind has been on the last few weeks. The question: "What are the indicators that I am whole?"

God has been BURNING in my heart a desire that His daughters be made whole. WE need to walk in wholeness as He intended from our creation. I know what God has done in me to make me whole internally, but it has been very hard for me to articulate it. I know that God specifically told me that He didn't heal me for me to just stay quiet. So my prayer to God has been, since Mimi's question, is God help me to articulate what you have shown me and done in me. So I am going to attempt to do this. 

This series will be a long one. But if you are desiring this for yourself, I believe you'll stick around. I've divided it into two sections; Internal Wholeness and External Wholeness. Each section will be broken down in parts. You'll have to wait to get each part :) But I will try to be quick to write them, so that you don't have to wait very long! So without further adieu....
Internal Wholeness Part 1: Romance
"God, where do I begin?" I asked when praying how to put into words what He's done. I heard that familiar voice say, "A-hem!!!"  (that coughing sound). Duh! Wholeness will always begin with Jesus. Always. I'm not talking about the day you took the sinner's prayer either. I'm talking about wholeness beginning the day that you begin an intensely scandalous, romantic love affair with Jesus.
Ladies, since little we have grown up waiting for that one day where our knight in shining armor will appear in a blaze of glory, to sweep us off our feet, and give us the happily ever after that we have watched in every romantic comedy we have repeatedly watched (ok the teacher in me is ashamed of that really long sentence...lol) We watched, and even if you won't admit it, we desire what we see. We were created for covenant. So those desires are going to be there. While those movies are fantasy, I want you to make it a reality. Not with an earthly man, but with Jesus. I want you to fall so deeply in love, let Him proprose to you, and become His bride.


I was very hesitant to share this experience with you. It is a VERY special moment for me. Telling it brings tears to my eyes. But ladies we all know when someone announces they're engaged, the first two things asked are..."Can I see the ring?" and "How did he ask?" So going along with the spirit of sisterhood, I will share how He proposed to me.

The day was January 21st... Our anniversary :) I had the day off of work. I started the year taking up the challenge my pastor gave about getting up early before work, and spending time in prayer, worship, and meditating on the Word. I really was enjoying that time to the point that it was disappointing when I had to start getting ready for work. So here I had this day off. I could've used it to sleep in really late, but instead I slept in until 7:30 and got up.

I began my time as usual praying for healing that I desperately needed. Then as usual, the listening part came. "God, I'm listening. What do you want to say to me?"... I wasn't ready for what came next.  I got a vision. Mind you this vision was about 2 minutes long, but I'm going to describe it in detail for you.

I saw a right arm and hand outstretched to me, and I heard that familiar voice...

"I have loved you with an everlasting love. Will you?"

"Will I what God?" I asked

"I will never leave you, nor forsake you. Will you?"

"Will I what God?!?!"

In that moment it hit me in my spirit like a ton of bricks. He was proposing to me. Jesus was proposing!!!

"Yes! Yes! I will! I will!" I replied

Immediately me after saying yes, I was taken up a staircase wearing a beautiful wedding gown and my curls looked FANTASTIC (LOL). I can see it now so clearly. Everything was the brightest white I have ever seen. My hand was in His.  I was zoomed in to see my face. I have never seen so much joy on my face. My dimples were the biggest they have every been :) When we got to the top, there was a celebration. I couldn't see anyone; It was just me and His outstretched arm. He was twirling me, and I was dancing. Jubilant. That is the only word I could use to describe it. 

"From this day forward, you will be my bride, and I will be your husband" he told me. **swoon**

The celebration ended, and He put His hand on my stomach. He asked me if I remembered this prophetic dream I had a few months prior (about a miscarriage)...


"Yes, of course."

"The reason your dream died was because it was fathered by man. This new dream I'm about to impregnate you with will be birthed because I am fathering it. This year will be a year of expectancy and preparation. Like a new mom awaiting a child, you will be full of joy awaiting the birth of this dream and I will prepare you."

The vision ended and playing on Pandora was the song "I Will Carry Your Name."  I cried my eyes out. I was changed. Forever changed in that moment. My time with Him each morning changed. My time with Him went from doing it out of desperation to true delight.


In an instant, I had what the romance movies convince you you need in an earthly man. I had a man who desired to spend time with me, and boy does He have loads of uninterrupted time for me. I had a man who would have pillow talk with me late at night to my heart's desire. I had a man in my life who found me so incredibly beautiful inside and out. I had a man who watched me sleep. I had a man who sang to my heart. I had a man who whispered in my ear words of love and adoration. I now had a man who holds my hand and leads me on the wildest adventures. He cuddles me with his comfort. He gives me the best advice. He is the lover of my soul. He is the priest of my home and I feel safe and secure in Him.

This kind of relationship with Jesus is the first indicator of wholeness. The first indicator is your answer to the question "Do you have a romantic love affair with Jesus?"

Single Ladies:  If your answer is No, you MUST pray for this experience. Pray that God proposes to you and "woo" you in a way that you desire. For me, I am a hopeless romantic. If only an earthly man could sing to me, write me love notes, speak words of ....ok you get it. God knew that about me and that is what He gave me. Before you THINK you're ready for marriage, you need to be whole. That means you have to place all the desires that you think you need in an earthly man, and ask God to be that person for you FOR REALS! This is your first step to wholeness. God will not send a Godly man unto you are ready. This is the first step. Ask God for it. Keep asking until He does it....and He will. And you WILL be swept off your feet.

Married Ladies: Your husband is not God and will NEVER be God. Though He may make you speak in tongues at night, He can NEVER save you from the filth that is sin. You may be in a marriage now with a whole lot of difficulty because you are expecting your husband to take on the role that only God can fill. If you have never experienced the proposal of God in your life (not the sinner's prayer). Ask for it. Enter in that love affair with Jesus. Then whatever your husband gives you is just a cherry on top. Now that is the marriage I desire.

So that is step one. If you have stuck with me this long, you have a hunger. And it is no coincidence. God has already been working on making you truly whole. So please allow me end this by praying for you...

Jesus,  I pray that you will give my sisters the revelation of them being your bride and you being their groom. I pray that you rock their worlds. For my single sisters, give them a romance that will quench the NEED for an earthly husband until you prepare the Godly man you have for them.  I declare onenness over your daughters this day. Like a true marriage, bring them into oneness with you.  Overwhelm them with your love. Take them on the adventures of their lifetimes being hand in hand with you. I pray in urgency that this will not be a prayer delayed, but a prayer immediately answered to those hearts that you have prepared for this very moment.  Amen.

Part 2:  Just One Touch

1 comment:

  1. Great message, Steph. Spouses let us down, family & friends fall short on understanding, but there is One who can make us shalom, make us whole, make us restored. It takes a step away from the unhealthy values of our society, foolish fantasies/indoctrinations of the past and ..it brings us a step towards a radically different experience - rather than relying on humans to fill our hearts. (ps. I appreciate grammar nazis, I'm working on it, may take a while to appear in my own blogs. For now - you may see double negatives, run-on sentences, random ellipsis... and a few "lol"s)

    ReplyDelete