Pages

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Greatest of All Fears

Disclaimer: I’m preaching to myself today :)

Fear.  That thing, with ninja-like skills, that creeps up your legs into your heart and solidifies like concrete, keeping you from moving forward. Ugh. Fear.
Back in January, God completely healed me, and it doing so, broke me free of all my fears. But I’m not going to lie, there has been one fear that found a way to creep on me recently. It had already creeped into my heart before I could see it coming. Now that I see it, I recognize it is the greatest fear of all. Bigger than all the others I dealt with.  What is it?

The fear of greatness.  
Indulge me for a second.  Ever since Jesus came crashing into my life in January, my deepest desire is that He would be seen in me. I want people to hear Him when they talk to me. I want people to see Him in my actions and behaviors. I don’t want to be seen, only Him. I need to be out of the way.  So the process of dying to self began.

As a result, God has lead me to do things that are so out of my comfort zone.  And He’s not done. He is moving me towards more.  Honestly, it’s been scaring me.  It’s made me really ask myself,”What the heck is the matter with me?” I don’t fear attacks by the enemy. I have so much faith and trust in God. What is it?!
Last night it hit me. I have a fear of becoming great. I confessed this to one of my friends. Her response pierced my heart. She said, “Greatness is in you. God is in you. Embrace it.” The truth is that I have not embraced it. The truth is I have embraced Christ. The truth is until last night, I didn’t really realize that in embracing Christ, I embraced greatness.

The fear of greatness comes with many mini-fears. You fear man’s opinion because you don’t want to come off as arrogant or overly confident.  So you walk in false humility. You fear failure.  What if I go after those dreams God placed in my heart and fail? Expectations. How can you live up to greatness on a daily basis? What if you mess up with the gifts, power, and authority that comes with God’s greatness in you? What if I fall short? What if I make a fool of myself? Or my favorite, I just don’t want to draw people's attention.
The revelation I got today is when you truly die to self, you do not need to concern yourself with all those questions.  The reason?  Jesus is doing all the work.  Jesus is in me running the show.  His resurrection power flows through me (that in itself blows me away). He can live up to God’s expectations. He doesn’t fail. He knows how to use His authority and power the correct way. He doesn’t care what everyone around Him thinks of Him because He knows what the Father thinks of Him.  Lastly, everyone will not be looking at you. They will be looking at Him. So let your light shine before man! 

It seems like a fear that seems so small in relationship to others you may be thinking about. But in reality, this is the most dangerous. The fear of greatness seizes you and keeps you from being who you are created to be. This fear robs you of your destiny! It robs you of taking your kingdom place. 
This greatness is in every child of God. It’s time that we embrace who we are in Christ, fully. Because He resides in us, we are great! Through Him we have authority. Through Him, we cannot fail. Through Him, we can take on the impossible. Through Him, we can change the world. Embrace it.  

*I’ll leave you with one of my most favorite quotes that God brought to mind today! *

Our Deepest Fear by Marianne Williamson
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, “Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?” Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.  As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

No comments:

Post a Comment